One of the oldest video game magazines around is closing up shop.
GamePro, which has been covering the video game industry for 22 years, has announced its November issue will be its last, due to declining ad revenues. The magazine's website will also be shutting down, redirecting visitors to PCWorld.com starting December 5.
Times have been tough for the magazine for a while now. In July, GamePro's owner decided to gamble with a new publishing schedule, eliminating monthly issues for a quarterly format. The gamble, however, failed to pay off.
"The U.S. editorial and business staff worked hard to earn a passionate, loyal following for GamePro and I am grateful for their dedication and hard work over the years," said Mike Kisseberth, who heads up IDG's Consumer and Small Business media group. "GamePro, like all businesses, must keep up with industry changes and economic realities."
While the magazine is gone, the GamePro name will continue to live on — albeit in a different fashion. The publication's parent company plans to use it as a custom publishing company for events like E3's show daily. It will also be used as a subsite of PCWorld, but many of the magazine's staff has been laid off.
The game magazine business as a whole is a shaky one these days, with many publications struggling. Future Publishing, the parent company of Nintendo Power, PC Gamer and Official Xbox Magazine, merged its U.S. and U.K. operations earlier this week and recently announced plans to shift resources away from print and more towards online publishing.
About the only game magazine that's showing strength, in fact, is Game Informer, which enjoys a significant presence in GameStop stores since the retailer owns the magazine. As a result, publishers still battle each other for the magazine's cover.
While the print world loses another gaming publication, the online world is mourning the shutdown of another popular game information site. Indie game site GameSetWatch has announced plans to go on "semi-permanent hiatus" after six years.
Founder Simon Carless says the decision was made not for economic reasons, but because of an increasing overlap in coverage with sister site IndieGames.com as well as the more thorough coverage of off kilter titles by mainstream game blogs.