The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences held its annual Interactive Achievement Awards Thursday night at the DICE summit, with Skyrim taking top honors — as well as four other awards. Uncharted 3 and Portal 2 each took home a trio of trophies.
Skyrim, of course, also won Game of the Year at the Spike TV awards, which are perhaps better known than the AIAS ceremony among mainstream consumers; but these honors are bestowed by gaming industry insiders — and recognition by your peers is always a good feeling. (The show also has a consistent host: Comedian Jay Mohr, a longtime gaming enthusiast.)
"Each year the Interactive Achievement Awards sees the top minds and personas of our industry coming together to not only celebrate, but recognize one another for the achievements of the year," said AIAS president Martin Rae. "2011 produced an outstanding number of fantastic games in all areas of the industry — console, PC, social and mobile — we are truly witnessing a new golden age of gaming."
Beyond Game of the Year, Skyrim also won RPG of the Year — as well as outstanding achievements for story, gameplay engineering, and gameplay direction.
Among titles for less hardcore gamers, Fruit Ninja Kinect took best casual game, while Infinity Blade 2 won best mobile game. Bastion was named the downloadable title of the year.
Here's a complete list of the night's winners:
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition - Portal 2
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design - Battlefield 3
- Outstanding Achievement in Story - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Outstanding Character Performance - Portal 2 (Wheatley)
- Downloadable Title of the Year - Bastion
- Casual Game of the Year - Fruit Ninja Kinect
- Social Networking Game of the Year - The Sims Social
- Role-Playing/Massively Multiplayer Online Game of the Year - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Outstanding Innovation in Gaming - Skylanders Spyro's Adventure
- Sports Game of the Year - FIFA 12
- Racing Game of the Year - Forza Motorsport 4
- Fighting Game of the Year - Mortal Kombat
- Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year - Orcs Must Die!
- Family Game of the Year - LittleBigPlanet 2
- Mobile Game of the Year - Infinity Blade II
- Handheld Game of the Year - Super Mario 3D Land
- Adventure Game of the Year - Batman: Arkham City
- Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay - Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Outstanding Achievement in Connectivity - Portal 2
- Action Game of the Year - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
- Outstanding Achievement in Animation - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
- Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
- Outstanding Achievement in Gameplay Engineering - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Game of the Year - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim